Saw and ad on Craigslist in the for sale by owner listings called the guy up ("Joe") and asked if he still had it.He said he did and so I asked if there was any problems with the car.

He said none at all clean car he just needed to get rid of it. The next day I drove over with a friend of mine to take a look at it. When we get to the address listed it is a car dealership. Figure I will still take a look at this car I did drive to get to it after all.

So all of a sudden I'm no longer dealing with "Joe" but a dealer at the dealership who is his "buddy" and later would become a "partner". First thing I do is look in the car to find the hood latch and could tell right away that this car isn’t quite the one listed in the ad or had accrued more damage since the ad was posted. The instrument panel was water/humidity/oxidized damage that wasn’t listed or pictured in the ad. The guy said it had never been in an accident and that was a bunch of bull as this isn’t the trunk lid that came with the car and under the hood had been pressure washed so who know what else is wrong with this car.

When I decided to walk “Joe” and the other dealer (can’t remember the slime balls name) were rude and unprofessional.By the way acting as a private seller and being a dealer is quite illegal and is called Curb stoning

Reason of review: Not as described.

Preferred solution: A fine and possibly jail time for illegal activity.

I didn't like: Curbstoning lying flase ads.

Had an Experience with Elixir Auto Sales?

Comments

This is a very common problem with Craigslist and other online listings, just as it used to be a common problem when people advertised cars for sale in the local newspaper.

By the way, ANYBODY who buys ANYTHING off of Craigslist should follow the advice that Craigslist gives to buyers at:

By the way, don't bother complaining about online scams here.

This complaint belongs on Craigslist (or on whatever website someone finds a car listed at where the seller is a liar). Just pull up the listing (or pull up any other listing with that same phone number or that address) and click on "prohibited" (if using the regular website) or on the "flag" symbol if using the mobile site. Most of these sites are set up so that users (there are a lot more of us 'good guys' than there are of them 'bad guys') can make it hard, or even impossible, for such liars and theives to do business on the site.

These kind of crooks are lazy, so if you just make it more work for them to do the wrong thing, they will find some easier way to steal from people, until they eventually do something really obvious and *** to do, like rob a bank, and then they will get put in prison for a while.

Other used car buying advice... Don't take any cash, checks, or credit cards the first time you go to look at a car. They can't steal what you don't have with you, and they will let you leave if they think you are going to bring back...

Man or woman, don't get out of your car at someone's house to do a deal, and don't unlock your car door or roll down your window, because there might be several people there to outnumber you in a fight, or they might have a gun. And of course, don't ever send anyone your money in advance to buy a car that you haven't seen (and haven't looked over carefully) with your own eyes. And if you want a used car that is safe to drive, make sure you drive it (in a populated aread but not on busy roads) before you buy it.

DON'T SEND MONEY, don't give them any of your account numbers (not even a credit card number) and don't give them any personal information about yourself that might be used to hurt you in the future (SSN, street address, your listed land line phone which would also give them your street address, your middle name, or anything that they really have no right to know about you).

to Charles used to sell cars and #1012358

Good advice, which is mostly common sense put into words. Thanks for taking the time.